Johannesburg – Unemployed individuals interested in applying for the Covid-19 social relief grant will only qualify if they do not receive other social grants provided by the government, said Sassa CEO Busisiwe Memela Khambula.
Memela-Khambula said on Monday that Sassa was ready to receive applications for the R350 distress social relief grant which was announced by President Cyril Ramaphosa over a week ago.
Memela-Khambula and Social Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu said when the Sassa pilot project for the social relief grant was launched two weeks ago, of the 100 000 applications received 50% were from people who already receive some form of assistance from the government. A total of 57 000 applicants were successful in the pilot stage.
Memela-Khambula said it was important for people to note that only those who receive no form of assistance from the government will be paid out an R350 grant. If you receive a child grant, NSFAS funding or UIF benefit your application will be rejected if you apply for the social relief grant.
The Sassa CEO said they were ready to receive applications. The department had previously said that proof of residence was required for the application process, but this has now been changed. Applicants will only need to provide an address.
Memela-Khambula also said Sassa offices would now be opened as on May 11. She said services will remain limited due to staff capacity still at 30% because of the pandemic. She said Monday and Tuesday staff will assist elderly applicants for social grants, while child support grants would be processed on Wednesday and Thursday.
* For the latest on the Covid-19 outbreak visit IOL’s #Coronavirus trend page
** If you think you have been exposed to the Covid-19 virus, please call the government’s 24-hour hotline on 0800 029 999 or go to SA Coronavirus for more information.
By Zintle Mahlati