ready in 15-20 mins
This pumpkin recipe is great as an antipasto or side dish
- 1kg/2lb 4oz pumpkin, peeled and seeded
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and left whole
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 125ml white wine vinegar
- handful fresh mint leaves
- Cut the pumpkin flesh as you would a melon, into long, half-moon-shaped slices roughly 1cm thick. Heat the olive oil in a large shallow pan and fry the pumpkin with the garlic clove for about 3 mins, discarding the garlic as soon as it colours. You may need to do this in 2 batches. When all the pumpkin slices are fried, return them to the pan, draining off any excess oil first. Take off the heat.
- Dredge the pumpkin slices with the sugar and cinnamon. Mix well, then sprinkle with the vinegar, mint and pepper to taste. Cover with a lid or plate, and leave to infuse for at least 15 mins before serving warm or cold.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, October 2004
By Good Food