PREP: 20 MINS
COOK: 35 MINS
Start the day with this flavour-packed breakfast sausage burger with bacon, cheese and tomato relish
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1kg sausagemeat, or meat squeezed from 16 large sausages
- 1 egg yolk
- 25g pack flat-leaf parsley, leaves chopped
- 8 slices melting cheese (we used havarti)
- 8 grilled rashers streaky smoked bacon
- 8 ciabatta buns, halved
- tomato relish
- Put the onion, ketchup and oyster sauce in a food processor, then blend to a coarse paste, scraping down the sides of the processor if you need to. Put the sausagemeat into a mixing bowl, beat in the onion mix, egg yolk and 25ml water (and I mean really beat; if you have a tabletop mixer, do it in that), then add the parsley. Separate the mix into 8, roll into large balls, then flatten into patties. Chill on a plate for 1 hr.
- To cook the burgers, heat a griddle or large frying pan without adding any extra fat. Fry for 3 mins on one side until golden, turn down the heat for 5 mins, then flip and repeat on the other side.
- While the burgers cook, fry the bacon and, if you are game, some eggs as well. Heat the grill, then lightly toast the insides of the ciabatta buns.
- Place the cooked burgers on a baking sheet, put a slice of cheese on each, then pop under the grill to melt. Sit the burgers on their buns, then place the bacon on top. If you feel like them, slide fried eggs on top of the bacon. Serve with a napkin.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, May 2009