PREP: 5 MINS – 10 MINS
COOK: 25 MINS
Cook this simple storecupboard risotto in the oven while you get on with something else – the result is still wonderfully creamy
- 250g pack smoked bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 25g butter
- 300g risotto rice
- half a glass of white wine (optional)
- 150g pack cherry tomatoes, halved
- 700ml hot chicken stock (from a cube is fine)
- 50g parmesan, grated
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Fry the bacon pieces in an ovenproof pan or casserole dish for 3-5 mins until golden and crisp. Stir in the onion and butter and cook for 3-4 mins until soft. Tip in the rice and mix well until coated. Pour over the wine if using and cook for 2 mins until absorbed.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and the hot stock, then give the rice a quick stir. Cover with a tightly fitting lid and bake for 18 mins until just cooked. Stir through most of the parmesan and serve sprinkled with the remainder.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, September 2005
By Good Food