PREP: 5 MINS
COOK: 20 MINS
A protein-packed version of a classic fry-up from Joe Wicks. Pile on the steak, mushrooms and spinach for a hearty, filling start to the day
- 15ml olive oil
- 130g tomatoes, halved
- 4 rashers turkey bacon
- 180g sirloin steak, trimmed of visible fat
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- 160g spinach
- 1 egg
- Heat grill to high. Drizzle a little of the oil on your tomatoes and season well. Lay the tomatoes on a baking tray lined with foil and place under the grill. Cook for 4-5 mins, then add the bacon to the tray. Turn the bacon as necessary until it is cooked through. Turn off the grill and shut the door to keep everything warm.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Season your steak well and, when the pan is very hot, fry for 3-4 mins each side for medium-rare, then leave it to rest until you are ready to eat.
- While the steak is resting, throw the mushrooms into the still-hot pan, fry for 2-3 mins until browned, then move to one side of the pan. Add the spinach to the other side of the pan and cook until wilted. Put a saucepan of water on to boil.
- Crack the egg into the boiling water, then reduce the heat until the water is gently simmering. Poach the egg for 3-4 mins or until the white has set but the yolk is still runny. Carefully lift it out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Serve everything together and top with the poached egg.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, April 2017