PREP: 30 MINS
COOK: 30 MINS
SERVES 4 – 6
This soup keeps well in the fridge and is easy to freeze
- 25g butter
- 3 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 400g pack trimmed leek, sliced and well washed
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1.4l hot vegetable stock
- 142ml pot single cream
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, to serve
- Melt the butter in a large pan, then fry the bacon and onion, stirring until they start to turn golden. Tip in the leeks and potatoes, stir well, then cover and turn down the heat. Cook gently for 5 mins, shaking the pan every now and then to make sure that the mixture doesn’t catch.
- Pour in the stock, season well and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 20 mins until the vegetables are soft. Leave to cool for a few mins, then blend in a food processor in batches until smooth. Return to the pan, pour in the cream and stir well. Taste and season if necessary. Serve scattered with tasty crisp bacon and eat with toasted or warm crusty bread on the side.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, April 2006
By Sara Buenfeld