PREP: 10 MINS
COOK: 15 MINS
Try something new with aubergines and make them the main part of your meal with this veggie dish
- 2 aubergines, thickly sliced lengthways
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for brushing
- 3 slices brown or white bread, crusts removed
- 300g tub hummus
- 100g walnuts, toasted
- half an 80g pack flat-leaf parsley, leaves roughly chopped
- 200g pack cherry tomatoes, quartered
- juice ½ lemon
- splash extra-virgin olive oil
- Lay the aubergine out in one layer on a large baking sheet. Brush sparingly with vegetable oil, then season generously. Grill for 15 mins, turning twice and brushing with oil until the slices are softened and cooked through. Meanwhile, whizz the bread into crumbs. Add 2 tsp oil and whizz briefly again, to coat.
- Spread a couple of tsps of hummus on top of each slice of aubergine. Tip the breadcrumbs onto a large plate, then press the hummus side of the aubergines into the crumbs to coat. Grill again, crumb-side up, for about 3 mins until golden.
- Toss the walnuts, parsley and cherry tomatoes in a bowl, season, then add the lemon juice and olive oil and toss again. Serve the grills with the salad, a dollop more hummus and some pitta bread.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, May 2007
By Good Food