PREP: 20 MINS
COOK: 20 MINS
ready in 40 mins
This is a versatile dish, starter, main, picnic or snack. It’s smart enough for entertaining and easy enough for everyday
- 2 x 250g packs Portabellini mushroom, stalks removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 sheet puff pastry, from a 425g pack
- 2 tbsp pine nut
- 6 kalamata or green olives, chopped
- 2 heaped tbsp vegetarian tapenade
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- few toasted pine nut and chopped olives
- handful rocket leaves
- Heat oven to 240C/fan 220C/gas 9. Spread the mushrooms, stalk side up, on 2 baking trays. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with thyme, then season well. Roast for 12 mins until juicy.
- Take two 15cm sandwich cake tins. Unravel the pastry, then using the tin as a guide, cut two circles. It’s best to put the tins on the pastry before cutting to get the best possible fit – you may need to patch one of the rounds slightly with some pastry trimmings.
- Arrange the mushrooms, overlapping (one up, one down) in the tins and scatter with pine nuts and olives. Spread tapenade over one side of the pastry, then place, tapenade side-down, on top of the mushrooms.
- Bake for 15 mins, then tip onto plates. To serve, combine the oil, vinegar, pine nuts, olives and rocket and pile on top of the tarts.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, May 2007
By Sara Buenfeld