PREP: 20 MINS
COOK: 20 MINS
This late-summer salad makes use of veg you can easily grow yourself
- 400g new potato
- 4 eggs
- 300g runner bean, stringed and sliced
- 85g radish, trimmed and sliced
- 1 robust lettuce, like Little Gem lettuce or Webb’s
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the salad cream
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 142ml tub single cream
- pinch cayenne pepper
- For the salad cream: whisk all ingredients together with a pinch of salt. (Make it several hours ahead and it will thicken naturally.) 2 Cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water for about 15 mins until tender when prodded with a fork. With about 8 mins left, drop the eggs in and cook together with the potatoes. Drain and set aside to cool, then slice the potatoes and peel the eggs.
- Cook the runner beans in boiling salted water for 4-5 mins until just cooked, then drain and refresh in iced water. Drain again and set aside.
- Break the lettuce into leaves, wash and spin if necessary. Line a large salad bowl with the leaves, then in a separate bowl toss all the vegetables together with the oil. Pile the vegetables on top, then quarter the eggs and place around the outside. Serve the salad cream on the side for spooning over.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, September 2007
By Barney Desmazery